Solar Engineering Construction Manager
Scout Clean Energy is a leading US renewable energy developer, owner and operator headquartered in Boulder, Colorado. Scout is developing a portfolio of over 5,000 MW of wind, solar and energy storage projects across 11 US states. Scout is an owner-operator with expertise in all aspects of renewable power project development, permitting, power marketing, finance, construction and asset management. Scout is a portfolio company of Quinbrook Infrastructure Partners.
Scout is made up of renewable energy industry veterans who are making a difference in our world. Our team’s work ethic is second to none. We identify problems, create solutions, and deliver them professionally to our customers, stakeholders, partners and one another. We do the right thing when no one is looking because we are committed to our collective success and because we believe that our uncompromising integrity is key to the collaborative relationships that drive our business.
Scout Clean Energy seeks a Solar Engineering Construction Manager to join its Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC) team to manage solar/wind/energy storage projects including providing pre-construction support to development, conducting the contractor selection process, managing the EPC process, overseeing Balance of System (BOS) contractors, equipment suppliers, owner’s engineers, and on-site owner’s representatives.
During the pre-construction phase of a project, you will:
- Support the project development team for site selection, constructability reviews, interconnection options, and review of construction documents.
- Conduct site inspections and micro-siting evaluations.
- Conduct competitive RFPs for selection of general contractors or subcontractors.
- Interface with engineering, development and finance to optimize project design.
- Support development efforts including permitting efforts, and attending landowner meetings.
- Provide BOS cost estimates to support development and origination.
- Evaluate and manage project value improvements.
- Develop schedules using Microsoft Project.
- Provide input on commercial aspects of the BOS/BOP EPC contract.
During project construction, you will:
- Manage the third party, on site team of quality control professionals representing the owner, including the site manager, and the electrical, and civil specialists.
- Manage the various construction contracts and interface with the BOS contractor, owner’s engineers, and independent engineers.
- Lead weekly meetings with the BOS contractor and host internal update meetings with the development and financing teams.
- Provide weekly reports on construction status, schedule, and cost controls.
- Interface with the interconnecting and local utilities to ensure compliance with the GIA requirements.
- Provide guidance and support during all commissioning, start-up testing, and third-party inspections.
- Manage and approve invoices and costs incurred under all project contracts.
- Oversee the review and approval process of engineering designs.
- Review and provide recommendations to the owner on change orders.
- Assist in the resolution of design issues and contract enforcement.
- Attend monthly meetings at the project site.
- Coordinate final service acceptance inspections, punch list close out, and transition the project to Operations and Maintenance (O&M).
- Conduct Lessons Learned meeting and provide report to the construction group at the conclusion of the project.
- Manage the receipt and inspection of equipment and materials.
- Responsible for reviewing and maintaining project records.
- Manage questions with independent engineers throughout construction and close out any open items to support the project reaching on time financial closure.
- Plans, directs and coordinates activities at the project site, including BOS/BOP contractor, equipment suppliers, construction services and related work for large solar/wind/energy storage projects.
- Provides input to BOS/BOP EPC contract negotiations and develop contract exhibits for the construction contracts.
- Works with Development, Finance and Operations.
- Manages scheduling, change orders and cost control of project within the approved budget.
- Communicates and represent organization effectively and professionally.
- Prioritizes work in order to meet project goals including deadlines, cost targets and project schedules.
Qualifications & Critical Skills
- Must have a bachelor’s degree in engineering (electrical engineering degree preferred).
- Minimum 5 years’ experience as project manager or progressing positions in solar and wind construction.
- Have held significant roles on at least three solar and/or battery storage construction projects.
- Wind energy experience a plus.
- Solid knowledge and understanding of key value drivers for renewable power projects.
- Strong communication, project management and team-building skills experience working with cross-functional internal and external technical advisors and stakeholders.
- Ability to multi-task and arbitrate between conflicting priorities with clear target setting and follow-through capability in a fast-paced work environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a flat organization, successfully leveraging the expertise of multiple colleagues in different lines of reporting.
- Experience with providing pre-construction estimates based on industry knowledge.
- Demonstrated understanding of plans and specifications for civil and electrical work.
- Experience with developing contract exhibits for BOP contracts.
- Familiarity with managing solar energy construction contracts.
- Experienced with creating and managing schedules using MS Project.
- Adept at the use of Google Earth. Understanding of ArcGIS or GlobalMapper a plus.
- Strong oral and written communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills, and problem-solving techniques.
- Proficient with computers and possesses working knowledge of MS Office, MS Project, and document management systems; e.g. Microsoft SharePoint
- Working knowledge of OSHA requirements. OSHA 10 certification preferred.
- Comfortable with fast paced, rapidly changing environment.
- Ability to solve problems and make informed decisions quickly.
- Attentive to details and efficient.
- Must have a valid current driver license, and able to travel and perform field work.
- Ability to work outside of a Monday through Friday schedule, including holidays and weekends, at times when needed by the project.
- Position is based in Boulder, Colorado. Must be willing to relocate.
- This position requires up to 25% travel to remote project sites in the U.S.
Characteristics of Successful Scout Team Members
- Integrity. Ethical professional who does the right thing even when it is difficult.
- Initiative. Resourceful self-motivator with exceptional leadership and organizational skills.
- Intelligence. Perpetual learner with the ability to solve problems and make informed decisions quickly.
- Work Ethic. Productive team member who desires to work in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment to meet deadlines and get things done.
- Team Focus. Purpose-driven colleague with strong interpersonal skills and a commitment to working across organizational boundaries to deliver on shared team goals.
Invitation to Women and U.S. Underrepresented Groups
We encourage applications from all demographics and especially those that are traditionally underrepresented in the energy industry. Consistent with our core values, Scout celebrates the diversity of thought and experience that comes from a range of backgrounds including, but not limited to, gender, race, and ethnicity.
Invitation to Veterans
Scout welcomes veterans of the United States Armed Forces to apply for this position. Scout includes veterans of all branches and a diverse set of occupational specialties. We value the independent thinking, problem solving, leadership, and teamwork that our veterans have developed through their service. We welcome applications from any service and any military occupational specialty.
Target base salary: $90,000 - $110,000
Attractive bonus potential.
Scout offers a full range of benefits, including medical/dental/vision insurance with attractive premiums, 401(k) match, STD, LTD, an Employee Assistance Program, and a range of optional supplemental insurance coverage.
Please send a resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information: www.scoutcleanenergy.com