Day Ahead and Real-Time Trader
Scout Clean Energy is a leading U.S. renewable energy developer, owner and operator headquartered in Boulder, Colorado. Scout is developing a MW portfolio of over 5,000 MW of wind, solar and energy storage projects across 11 U.S. states. Scout is an owner-operator with expertise in all aspects of renewable power project development, permitting, power marketing, finance, construction and asset management. Scout is a portfolio company of Quinbrook Infrastructure Partners.
Scout is made up of wind energy industry veterans who are making a difference in our world. Our team’s work ethic is second to none. We identify problems, create solutions, and deliver them professionally to our customers, investors, partners and one another. We do the right thing when no one is looking because we are committed to our collective success and because we believe that our uncompromising integrity is key to the collaborative relationships that drive our business.
Position Summary Description
In this role in the Asset Management team, you will be responsible for trading, price formation analysis, and optimization of the Day-Ahead and Real Time (DART) bidding strategy for ERCOT, SPP, PJM, and future markets. You will assess market fundamentals daily and determine bidding strategies for the Scout portfolio in each of these markets. You will adhere to internal trading limits and execute timely submission of bids daily. You will work with the current team to deploy existing strategies, develop and recommend new strategies, and monitor market fundamentals.
Additionally, you will be responsible for maintaining a daily model and report to account for profits and losses, forecast versus actual generation, as well as daily and hourly pricing. You will also assist by following and making recommendations on REC sales, capacity auctions, and various revenue optimization activities, which require price formation analysis for Scout’s portfolio of operating assets.
You will be the primary trader and decision maker for the Scout team regarding the DART trading program on a day-to-day basis. You will report directly to the Director of Asset Management. In this cross-functional role you will:
- Serve as primary trader and scheduler in the Day-Ahead and Real-Time Markets.
- Report directly to the Director of Asset Management on daily project fundamentals and P&L.
- Communicate effectively with senior management on price formation and trading activities.
- Acquire or utilize existing knowledge of the REC market to assist in sales of generated and forward market REC sales.
- Interact with REC traders to ensure Scout has daily updates on REC pricing and fundamentals.
- Understand the capacity markets in each ISO and assist in determining pricing analysis and strategy.
- Employ excellent risk management skills.
Internally, you will collaborate with other Scout staff to ensure they are kept apprised of trading activities:
- Engage with the Origination and Transmission teams to ensure current market trends are understood and daily trading strategies match fundamentals occurring in the DA and RT markets.
- Report upon and discuss monthly the trading strategy and your approach to achieve superior results.
- Recognize and communicate changing market dynamics and report to senior Asset Management team members and senior management on potential changes in strategy to implement positive trading results more effectively.
- Collaborate on REC sales strategy with team members in REC markets where Scout has a merchant REC presence.
- Challenge yourself to understand the various Capacity Markets in each ISO and assist in pricing analysis and risk versus reward for bidding into capacity auctions.
Most work will take place Monday through Friday. Weekend responsibilities included but rotating as needed.
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college program.
- 2+ years of Real Time/Day Ahead Trading or Scheduling experience.
- Experience in PJM, ERCOT, and SPP Day Ahead and Real Time Markets and fundamentals that drive those markets.
- Strong understanding of U.S. power markets and transmission system.
- Strong Microsoft Excel Skills and data analysis skills.
- Proficiency in online platforms such as Yes Energy, SNL, Genscape, ISO/RTO Websites to obtain an overall daily fundamental view of the market.
- Understanding of Intermittent Renewable Resource forecasting and economics.
- Ability to concisely frame issues by providing context, analysis, recommendations, and risk/benefit tradeoffs, both in written, verbal, and presentation format, to the Asset Management team, other project teams and to senior management.
- Ability to recognize changing market fundamentals and communicate swiftly and effectively to the Scout team.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a flat organization, successfully leveraging the expertise of multiple colleagues in different lines of reporting.
- Authorized to work in the U.S. without sponsorship.
Characteristics of Successful Scout Team Members
- Integrity. Ethical professional who does the right thing even when it is difficult.
- Initiative. Resourceful self-motivator with exceptional leadership and organizational skills.
- Intelligence. Perpetual learner with the ability to solve problems and make informed decisions quickly.
- Work Ethic. Productive team member who desires to work in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment to meet deadlines and get things done.
- Team Focus. Purpose-driven colleague with strong interpersonal skills and a commitment to working across organizational boundaries to deliver on shared team goals.
|Job Type: Full-time
||Required Education: Bachelor’s Degree
|Job Location: Boulder, CO / Houston, TX
||Required Experience: Real-Time and/or Day-Ahead Energy Trading
Please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information: www.scoutcleanenergy.com